Saturday 20 October 2012

chicken noodle soup with carrots, lemon & dill


chicken noodle soup with carrots, lemon and dill


As the title of my blog suggests noodle soup is a major part of my culinary life.  This recipe is inspired by my Gran's Polish chicken noodle soup. I still remember the burnt smell that permeated her flat when she was singeing the feathers off the chicken on the hob ring (well I think that was what she was doing!) and the beautifully clear broth she produced.  I remember it simmering slowly away for hours......

For me noodle soup is a comfort, it's what I cook when I have a cold, when I feel miserable, and when I just want a taste of home.  

To make it from scratch takes hours - obviously you can cheat and use a ready made stock/stock cube but in this instance you would be missing the point.  It seems the amount of time and effort put in is equal to the positive, restorative effects of the soup.  This is food as medicine and you have to cook with love in your heart - otherwise it won't work.

Due to the length of time this takes it is always useful to have a batch of the stock ready in the freezer so you are always ready in a noodle soup emergency!

For the stock:

1 chicken carcass (leftover from a roast chicken)
2 celery sticks
2 carrots
2 onions
1/2 lemon
3 cloves garlic
1 tsp allspice berries
1 tsp black pepper corns
3 bay leaves
1 tbs leaves
1 sprig rosemary 
Salt to taste

For the soup

200g cooked noodles - (I used Spaetzle a German egg noodle for this but vermicelli, rice noodles,Chinese egg noodles would all work well)
2 carrots
3 tbs chopped dill
Zest of 1 lemon  

Stock:
  • Place all stock ingredients in a large pot and cover with cold water.  
  • Bring to the boil and then simmer for 3-4 hours on the stove top or in a slow cooker for 6 hours on medium.  
  • Skim off any 'scum'/fat that floats to the top every now and then.
  • When the time is up leave to cool before refrigerating over night (with all the veg and chicken still present)
  • The next day before you want to use it bring it to the boil again for 15-20 minutes and then strain through a sieve/colander.  Pick out any large pieces of meat and add them back to the soup.  It is now ready to add the other soup ingredients.....
For the soup:  
  • Prepare the noodles as per packet instructions.  
  • Add chopped carrots to the noodles as they are cooking
  • When done add to the soup stock and serve garnished with chopped dill and lemon zest.  

Enjoy :)  

 

2 comments:

  1. This sounds like a lovely take on the traditional "Jewish Penicillin" soup recipe that a university friend's mother gave me, and I have been making whenever I've needed a boost ever since.

    I am intrigued by the addition of allspice and lemon, so I've bookmarked this to try when I'm feeling under the weather.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there! Thanks for stopping by. This soup is great when you're a bit ill. A lovely comforting memory from childhood. Let me know when you give it a go. The allspice add a spicy warmth to the stock and the lemon add a nice freshness.

      Delete