You could also make this flavoured with caraway seeds, orange zest, liqueur soaked fruit, chocolate chips, almonds..... It's up to you. Happy baking :)"
1 cup soured milk (squeeze of lemon until milk curdles - don't worry it'll look horrible but will be ok - it helps the rise!)
2 cups of caster sugar
3 cups of plain flour
grated zest of 2 lemons
1/2 cup poppy seeds
2 tsp vanilla essence/vanilla pod seeds
half cup vegetable oil
2 heaped teaspoons of baking powder
a little milk if too thick
1/2 cup sugar
Juice of 2 lemons
2 tbs of orange flower water
- Grease a ciambella/bundt tin, and dust it lightly with flour. Preheat the oven to 180°C, 350°F.
- Sift flour and baking powder into a bowl. Add eggs, milk, oil, sugar and lemon zest and salt. Beat using an electric whisk for about 3-4 mins
- Stir in poppy seeds, if it’s a bit thick add a little extra milk.
- Pour the mixture into the tin, and bake in the oven for about 50 minutes until well risen and a skewer comes out clean.
- Turn off the oven, and remove cake
- Mix the glaze ingredients together. Poke a few holes with skewer then pour over glaze
- Leave it to cool in the tin
- The glaze should leave a nice crunchy topping. This cake can be eaten straight away but is even better the day after all the flavours have mingled. Great with a strong coffee at breakfast time but you don't need me to tell you when you can eat cake!