Thursday 23 May 2013

frittata with wild garlic, roasted butternut squash and brie




My recipe for frittata with wild garlic, roasted butternut squash and brie. A beautifully simple and delicious supper or brunch dish.  Another recipe borne out of my current food obsession - wild garlic.  I love the stuff and I can use it even more now I found a huge patch of it in woodland close to where I live in the UK...happy days.  But the season is nearly over, it is short and sweet and I will have to get over the changing times....but not until I have made some jars of wild garlic pesto to see me through a few more weeks.

I added leftover roasted butternut squash to the frittata, but you could easily substitute for any other roasted vegetables of your choice.  Also many other cheeses would be great melted on top - it's just that I had some brie that I needed to use up.  I would also love this with some nice crumbly goats cheese or Stilton.  This can be served simply with some crusty bread or boiled new potatoes.  Let me know how you get on - I hope you enjoy :-) 

For more handy information and safety tips about foraging for wild garlic check out my previous posts for wild garlic with tofu, aubergine and oyster sauce and wild garlic minestrone soup.  I also found Galloway wild foods really useful with a wealth of information about foraging for wild garlic and other edibles.

serves 2-3
preparation time:  5 minutes
cooking time: 5-10 minutes
recipe author:  chip butties and noodle soup

ingredients:

3-4 eggs
1 cup/handful of chopped roasted butternut squash (or roast veg of choice)
1 large bunch wild garlic (washed in clean running water)
100g brie sliced (or cheese of choice)
2 tbs vegetable oil

instructions: 
  • heat a frying pan with the vegetable oil, beat the eggs then add to the pan with the roasted butternut squash and half the wild garlic - stir around a few times to start the cooking then turn the heat down.
  • add the sliced brie to the top of the frittata.  The frittata should cook in about 5 minutes - you can finish it off under the grill if you like to brown up the cheese.   
  • garnish with the rest of the wild garlic and serve - simple!  


I am also entering this dish into the May herbs on Saturday challenge hosted by delicieux.  Organised by Karen at lavender and lovage

Herbs On Saturday Badge 



This recipe is also included in Nature's Lunchbox a food foraging challenge organized by Foodie Laura.  Check out the rules here if you would like to enter or look at other entrants.  Happy foraging :-) 

4 comments:

  1. I love this - anything covered in melted brie gets my vote! Another great entry into Herbs On Saturday! You are on fire :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree melted Brie is rarely a bad thing! Thanks again

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum. This looks delicious. Wish I could find some wild garlic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much for your comments. You can always use spinach and some garlic as a substitute, or you could try a farmers market for wild garlic.

      Delete