preparation time: 10 minutes
cooking time: 20-30 minutes
- preheat the oven to 200C.
- wash and roughly chop your squash - you can peel it if you want but I didn't bother as it softens down in the cooking process.
- add your squash to a roasting pan with the head of garlic. Leave this unpeeled as it helps protect the garlic inside and produces wonderfully sweet and soft roasted cloves. Add the cumin seeds and toss the squash and garlic in about 4tbs of your olive oil. Roast for 20-30 minutes. It's done when the squash is slightly caramelized and a knife pierces it easily.
- about 10 minutes before the end of the cooking time add the roughly chopped lemon - so it can soften and caramelize too.
- when it's cooked and slightly cooled remove the skins from the garlic cloves then add to a food processor with the squash, lemon, chickpeas, yogurt, remaining olive oil, chopped herbs, berbere spice and salt and pepper. You may need to whizz this up in a few lots depending on how big your processor is. This would also work well with a hand held blender.
- serve garnished with more herbs and a drizzle of olive oil. Enjoy!